View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #109 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 57,866
Said "Thanks" 624 Times
Was Thanked 284 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Joy Re: Back-yard naked Banana Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chironex View Post
Mauro, there is no need to hide in a cave! I salute you for bringing this subject to everyone's attention. Trial and error is the fuel that leads to new discoveries. In fact, when I get some extra pups of something, I will do it here, too. As I mentioned in a message to you, I have some ideas I want to try with your experiment.
Your humility seems to be something that came from a graft between Brazil and Japan. I find this to be a quality that I need to practice myself. I enjoy reading your posts and hope that you will not stop. This site is for banana enthusiasts around the world and there is no question about your enthusiasm. Whether it be for experimentation, approval or simple appreciation of bananas, we are all here because of our interest in bananas. Keep on doing what you wish, I will read every word.
Hi, Scot !
I haven't heard from you lately. How are you? Here is some information about plants:
The fact that scientists now recognize that plants have an immune system is the result of pioneering work by Paul Schulze-Lefert, a director of the Plant Breeding Institute for eight years. Initially, plants were believed to have inflexible and underdeveloped defense systems, but in a series of publications, Schulze-Lefert described the molecular foundations of sophisticated protection mechanisms. While they have neither circulation nor specialized immune cells, plants do have a dual radar system in each cell, one external and one internal. The external radar consists of a series of receptors. When one of these recognizes a pathogen, it sets off an alarm that triggers a defensive response. If the pathogen still manages to penetrate into the cell, it comes up against a second line of defense. If the relevant sensor is triggered the cell undergoes apoptosis, as a way of protecting the rest of the plant. "These two radar screens are a highly dynamic system based on resistance genes that constantly develop in the race against pests," says Schulze-Lefert. "The fact that whole crops are sometimes destroyed by pathogens has to do with the constraints placed on this co-evolutionary process ever since the pool of resistance genes started being restricted by breeding and vegetative reproduction. Our job is to give the plants new resistance genes, ideally combinations of them."

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 01-22-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Trying to prove that there are comunication between one cell and another in plants.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: