View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
mrbungalow
Freezing member

Zone: 8
Name: Erlend
BananaBucks : 47,134
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 165 Times in 78 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Does Sikkimensis Manipur = Sikkimensis Red Tiger???

Yes, I agree with mark. This also seems to be the case with ensete ventricosum to name one. I don't know how many new forms of "maurelli" have appeared lately, but it's quite a few.. -All purplish red.

In business, the more segmented a market is, the more cash you can pull out of the market. Why should the plant-trade be any different? Especially in online seed-dealing where confusion about names has allready reached the point of anarchy. You might not even manage to sprout the seeds, sometimes wait years for physical characteristics to appear, and on top of this consider genetic variation in seeds! By the time you have a mature plant you will forget where and how you got it! The seed trade can be an unmoral marketing-segmenters dream! How many people bother to demand a refund for getting the "wrong" plants or plants that aren't as cold-hardy as they promised? I am still pretty sure a few of us would like a refund on some of those expensive "trachycarpus latisectus" seeds that hit the market a few years ago, and grew into something that certainly can't rival the good old windmill-palm!

Luckily though, there are still many great seed-dealers out there, with a burning passion about what they do. It's the ones exagarating cold hardiness and spreading false information that really ruins my day. Glad I got a chance to get this off my chest!

Erlend