View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #92 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,625
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Talking Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Oh! If you only get down to 0C, you should have plenty of bananas that can survive. I'm at -1C right now and most of my bananas look "okay". This is my sixth morning of frost in the past three weeks. Winter is early here this year but I've still got a banana bunch hanging on one plant right now.
Harveyc, please tell me what kind of bananas you are growing there. Especially the one with the bunch. Here in mainland Japan, there is no edible banana that bears fruits. By the way this year the frost is late. We didn't have any yet.
Harveyc, please check this site.
How do I winterize banana trees in North Carolina? - UBC Botanical Garden Forums

#6 November 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
jpasquini
Contributor (30-99 posts) Join Date: May 2007

Re: How do I winterize banana trees in North Carolina?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We had a mini-golf course here in town (Springfield, IL) that had banana trees for many years in a row.
What I heard they did was they left the roots in the ground, grafted the trees off at about 6" from the ground in V's and then covered the roots in mulch so they didn't freeze.

The rumour was they kept the shafts indoors in their basement and then reattached them in the spring by 'plugging them back in' and staking, but I never talked to them personally or saw them do it. It was all a very interesting story. But the trees most certainly were there, year after year and quite large.
May be all hearsay and nonsense, but if it helps, so be it."

Grafting bananas is sounding more like a folks tale.
I heard these rumours in Brazil too.
But no one has actually seen them being grafted.
Bye.
Mauro.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo