Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
Register Photo Gallery Wiki Map Today's Posts

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
jns-TOG
 
jnstropic's Avatar
 
Location: Miami-Dade
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 107,890
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 296 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Tuesday we had high winds all day. The bananas were so heavy that the plants moved back and forth all day. Today was better with less wind. But those people on the TV keep saying that tomorrow will be much worse or clear. If you haven't seen the two stocks lately check them out on the bottom of this page: http://togofcoralgables.com/FlowersofOct07.aspx
jnstropic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jnstropic

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 10-31-2007, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
valerie@flower's Avatar
 
Location: California
Zone: 10
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
BananaBucks : 7,760
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

I hope they make it OK. You have the biggest Ae Ae I have ever seen. This banana loves you and can tower in the sky and make a good come back. Also I noticed you have a blue jade vine that has big blooms. I just bought the red variety, any tips on growing it would be appreciated.
Valerie
valerie@flower is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To valerie@flower
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
jns-TOG
 
jnstropic's Avatar
 
Location: Miami-Dade
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 107,890
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 296 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

I had the red form many years ago. Some one in Ft.Lauderdale bloomed it in 2 or 3 years. I had mine for at least 5 years and it grew very well but it didn't bloom. When I was painting the house, I trimmed it. In three weeks it bled to death. I didn't replace it. I know that it is a beauty but I'm happy with the regular form. I have been told that there are other colors in the group.
jnstropic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jnstropic
Said thanks:
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Greenie's Avatar
 
Location: Fl.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,301
BananaBucks : 261,159
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 300 Times
Was Thanked 1,362 Times in 388 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 6 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnstropic View Post
Tuesday we had high winds all day. The bananas were so heavy that the plants moved back and forth all day. Today was better with less wind. But those people on the TV keep saying that tomorrow will be much worse or clear. If you haven't seen the two stocks lately check them out on the bottom of this page: http://togofcoralgables.com/FlowersofOct07.aspx
Mr. Steele
The winds have been very strong here also!.I had to prop 2 of my banana plants because I literally thought they were gonna blow right to the ground.I do not want to take a chance with the plants so I used 2x4's and drilled them together to make a v shape support.Good luck and great pics!

Last edited by Greenie : 10-31-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Greenie
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Been nuts, gone bananas
 
harveyc's Avatar
 
Location: Isleton, Calif
Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,130
BananaBucks : 471,974
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,050 Times
Was Thanked 4,493 Times in 1,906 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Best wishes for coming through safely, Jordon!

I might be biased, but I think you should consider a remote "brother" in California as a form of insurance against the plans you and the others getting lost to a big storm. We had an earthquake last night, but my bananas didn't mind at all!

Again, best wishes and take care!
__________________
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Sponsors

Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mark
 
Mark Hall's Avatar
 
Location: Windsor u.k.
Name: Mark Hall
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 616
BananaBucks : 168,421
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 385 Times
Was Thanked 282 Times in 123 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 15 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

jnstropic could you not cut all the leaves off except the main roller then maybe the high winds wouldn't do as much damage.Then as Greenie suggested support the stem
__________________
Time Flies like an Arrow.....Fruit flies like a Banana.
Mark Hall is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mark Hall
Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tally-Man

 
MediaHound's Avatar
 
Location: Florida
Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,282
BananaBucks : 2,606,161
Feedback: 66 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,901 Times
Was Thanked 5,136 Times in 1,367 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,089 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Jordon, we had huge winds here as well, I had to prop some plants as well.
This time I didn't trim back any leaves, but sometimes I do. The gusts were very intermittant.
Anyway, I hope everything makes it alright.
Regards
__________________
Apologies in advance if I am slow to reply to your PM. I suggest posting in the forums for support if you need something urgent.
MediaHound is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MediaHound
Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tally-Man

 
MediaHound's Avatar
 
Location: Florida
Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,282
BananaBucks : 2,606,161
Feedback: 66 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,901 Times
Was Thanked 5,136 Times in 1,367 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,089 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

I lost a huge blooming Ice Cream.
Real bummer.

It was the only bloomer I have that wasn't staked. Stupid me.

Pictures forthcoming tomorrow.
__________________
Apologies in advance if I am slow to reply to your PM. I suggest posting in the forums for support if you need something urgent.
MediaHound is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MediaHound
Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
jns-TOG
 
jnstropic's Avatar
 
Location: Miami-Dade
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 107,890
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 296 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Yes Harvey thats one way to do it. I have wind insurance, do you have fire insurance? Maybe we should be some place between.

My Ae Aes are so tall that propping them didn't seem like a doable thing. Last year when we had a hurricane scare I trimmed the leaves of these plants and they recovered. But now if I trim the leaves the fruit would not mature and the weight of the fruit would bring the plant down. If I cut the fruit and the leaves then there is no reason to not cut the entire plant. It was a worry, but as of 8pm tonight they were both upright. The leaves are a mess but I think I have enough.

When I first saw the two flower spikes I thought first of the hurricane season. Thank you all for your concern. I now invite people to come by and get some of the fruit when it ripens. Don't worry I will post when the fruit is ripe.
jnstropic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jnstropic
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Been nuts, gone bananas
 
harveyc's Avatar
 
Location: Isleton, Calif
Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,130
BananaBucks : 471,974
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,050 Times
Was Thanked 4,493 Times in 1,906 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnstropic View Post
Yes Harvey thats one way to do it. I have wind insurance, do you have fire insurance? Maybe we should be some place between.
Do you have alligator insurance? LOL I had many of my customers across the U.S. ask me over the past two weeks if I was okay with all of the fires. The nearest of those SoCal fires was about 250 miles south of me. My biggest risk of fire is being too ambitous using heaters to keep my bananas warm in the winter! Then, there is that 1,000 watt lamp that could be a challenge for my shop's old electrical wiring....

I wish I was nearby so I could try some of the fruit when it ripens. I had some dried Ae Ae recently and it was very good.

Best wishes!
__________________
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
jns-TOG
 
jnstropic's Avatar
 
Location: Miami-Dade
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 107,890
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 296 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

The Ae Aes got through the wind of Noel. I have a picture on my site:
http://togofcoralgables.com/AeAebananas.aspx

The leaves were damaged and maybe five leaves broke. Normally I would cut them off but the trees need all the help they can get.
jnstropic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jnstropic
Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Been nuts, gone bananas
 
harveyc's Avatar
 
Location: Isleton, Calif
Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,130
BananaBucks : 471,974
Feedback: 5 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,050 Times
Was Thanked 4,493 Times in 1,906 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Thanks for the update and congratulations!

How long do you think it will be before they mature?
__________________
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
jns-TOG
 
jnstropic's Avatar
 
Location: Miami-Dade
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 233
BananaBucks : 107,890
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 296 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Harvey I haven't any idea. With the low leaf count they should be slow to ripen. But if it's a warm winter it might be fast. It's a real crap shot and I have been watching them for a long time.
jnstropic is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jnstropic
Said thanks:
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tally-Man

 
MediaHound's Avatar
 
Location: Florida
Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,282
BananaBucks : 2,606,161
Feedback: 66 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,901 Times
Was Thanked 5,136 Times in 1,367 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,089 Times
Default Re: My Ae Ae may be in harms way

Well I didn't post the pics "tomorrow" as stated two weeks ago, but I just now finally posted them. That thread is here if you want to see what happened:
Ice Cream blooming... and fell over

BTW, nice seeing you the other day Jordon... and your two blooming Ae Ae side by side are simply amazing!
__________________
Apologies in advance if I am slow to reply to your PM. I suggest posting in the forums for support if you need something urgent.
MediaHound is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To MediaHound
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

Previous Thread: Mysore blooming
Next Thread: Finally moved the Bananas





Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.





All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.