Bananas.org

Bananas.org (http://www.bananas.org/)
-   Main Banana Discussion (http://www.bananas.org/f2/)
-   -   Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood (http://www.bananas.org/f2/banana-trees-around-neighborhood-4824.html)

Mason 06-12-2008 05:02 PM

Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Hey! In my neighborhood there are many fruit trees. Today I discovered that there are banana trees too! I will post pictures of trees around my neighborhood. Check it out sometime and tell me what you think. By the way, does anyone have fruit trees around their neighborhood? I'd like to know. Thank you! :)
-Mason

MediaHound 06-12-2008 05:48 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Where are you from?

Mason 06-12-2008 06:00 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
I am from San Diego.

AltadenaGarden 06-12-2008 06:46 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Mason,

I have a Mediterranean backyard and working on a sub-tropical front yard. I am growing pummelo, oranges, lemon, avocado, three types of peaches, grapes, passion fruit, feijoa, and guava.

L.A. area
Shawn

momoese 06-12-2008 06:51 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
I have often thought driving around and taking pics of the banana stands around my neighborhood. I see them everywhere! Please do share if you do that!

Mason 06-12-2008 07:46 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AltadenaGarden (Post 40312)
Mason,

I have a Mediterranean backyard and working on a sub-tropical front yard. I am growing pummelo, oranges, lemon, avocado, three types of peaches, grapes, passion fruit, feijoa, and guava.

L.A. area
Shawn

Wow! How long have you been growing fruit?

damaclese 06-12-2008 10:53 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
at this point i mite be the only person in the state of Nv that has bananas i cant know for sure but every time i tell some one i have them they say the same thing "what you can grow Bananas in las vegas i didint know that must take alot of water"

Mason 06-13-2008 12:08 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by damaclese (Post 40330)
at this point i mite be the only person in the state of Nv that has bananas i cant know for sure but every time i tell some one i have them they say the same thing "what you can grow Bananas in las vegas i didint know that must take alot of water"

Is it hard for you to grow banana plants in Nevada?

sandy0225 06-13-2008 06:32 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
I can tell you of at least six or seven places you can see them when driving around in our town. And we live in Muncie Indiana!
I think it's starting to catch on, what do you think?

cedardave 06-13-2008 07:18 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Here in Winnipeg Canada I have seen no bananas other than the ones in my yard. There is only one or two garden centers that bring in bananas for the summer and they are usually the little prince or super dwarf cavendish, nothing that ever gets big.Sure would be nice to see more of the tropical up here. Im sure someone else here must have some ...but I suppose their well hidden...

Taylor 06-13-2008 10:32 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
There are a few mats of Basjoo, 1 of Musella Lasiocarpa, and 1 Orinoco that the people bring in every year...they planted it back out this spring, but I don't see any new growth.

The Musella Lasiocarpa bloomed last year.

Mason 06-13-2008 10:59 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy0225 (Post 40341)
I can tell you of at least six or seven places you can see them when driving around in our town. And we live in Muncie Indiana!
I think it's starting to catch on, what do you think?

I'd say it is cathcing on. I live in a neighborhood in sunny San Diego and I only know about 3 banana plants other than mine and my uncles.

Mason 06-13-2008 11:01 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cedardave (Post 40342)
Here in Winnipeg Canada I have seen no bananas other than the ones in my yard. There is only one or two garden centers that bring in bananas for the summer and they are usually the little prince or super dwarf cavendish, nothing that ever gets big.Sure would be nice to see more of the tropical up here. Im sure someone else here must have some ...but I suppose their well hidden...

If almost no one has banana plants where you live, you could start your own nursery and sell them. That would be quite a business.

Mason 06-13-2008 11:22 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
I think another reason my neighborhood has so many fruit trees is because when my neighborhood was built in the 1930's, the landscapers put trees there for scenery.

Also, if your town or city has a local zoo, go to it and see if they have fruit or plants. The San Diego Zoo is the biggest zoo in the USA, I think. They have banana trees, macadamian nuts, oranges, guavas, every plant you can think of, and I think dragon fruit (and of course animals, lol) . Most of it you are not allowed to pick though. But it's cool to see.

mskitty38583 06-13-2008 11:33 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
there is one nana tree here in the town that i live in.( well besides my little tropical paradise) and right now his looks like crap!

Mason 06-13-2008 11:37 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mskitty38583 (Post 40365)
there is one nana tree here in the town that i live in.( well besides my little tropical paradise) and right now his looks like crap!

Do you think you're the only person in town with banana plants? If so, like I said before, starting a nursery would be cool. Or even if you only sold a few plants, you would be making a little extra money, and you get to do what you like doing. :07:

mskitty38583 06-13-2008 11:44 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
i thought about that, but im so anal retentive about my nanas! my mom wants one but she let her jacaranda trees die( that i painfully grew from seed). i told her you cant ignore a nana. you have to love it, talk to it, feed it, water it, baby it, trim it up, spend time with it, mulch it....etc.

Mason 06-13-2008 11:49 AM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mskitty38583 (Post 40369)
i thought about that, but im so anal retentive about my nanas! my mom wants one but she let her jacaranda trees die( that i painfully grew from seed). i told her you cant ignore a nana. you have to love it, talk to it, feed it, water it, baby it, trim it up, spend time with it, mulch it....etc.

That's true. It seems like they take a lot of care if you want good bananas.

Mason 06-13-2008 04:44 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
My uncle has a fig tree called a mission fig. All mission fig trees came from 1 tree in CA a while ago. People took cuttings off of that one and planted the cuttings and trees grew. They kept following the pattern and now there are many mission fig trees.

damaclese 06-13-2008 10:34 PM

Re: Banana Trees Around The Neighborhood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 40336)
Is it hard for you to grow banana plants in Nevada?

not cactus and succulents palms every thing els yes i have allot of plants that are marginal here so i have to baby them o but the nabers love them so at least thats what they tell me


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.