Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Cold Hardy Bananas
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cold Hardy Bananas This forum is dedicated to the discussion of bananas that are able to grow and thrive in cold areas. You'll find lots of tips and discussions about keeping your bananas over the winter.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
BananaBucks : 901
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Space ?

I have my bananas planted around a above ground pool, I have weed barrier cloth with mulch on top of it around the bottoms. My question is how much of that do I need to remove to give the pups room to sprout?
Mills23 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mills23

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Zone: Zone 9a
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 302
BananaBucks : 917
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 546 Times
Was Thanked 463 Times in 181 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 61 Times
Default Re: Space ?

I originally planted my plants (namwa and raja puri) in March of 2017 and all my pups came up within a foot of the original plant to date. I imagine that the pups will spread out over time as the corn expands if it is not pruned/trimmed back.

I don't use landscape cloth but based on my patch (namwa) to date I would figure a foot for the original pstem and then a foot of clearance around it would provide a total circle cutout of 3 feet in diameter. That would contain the three-plant groupings (original plus two followers) in my patch to date. You might get away with a bit less depending on how active you manage the pups, pup placement, type of banana plant (footprint), etc.

I haven't really seen the need for landscape cloth in my patch. The mulch pretty much keeps all the weeds under control. I cut and bag my lawn grass and throw the clippings on the patch all summer. Only the pups push through the clippings. The lawn grass tries to send runners into the patch but I just pull them out a couple times a season and use them to patch weak spots in my yard.

Good luck!
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks:
Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
BananaBucks : 901
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Space ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
I originally planted my plants (namwa and raja puri) in March of 2017 and all my pups came up within a foot of the original plant to date. I imagine that the pups will spread out over time as the corn expands if it is not pruned/trimmed back.

I don't use landscape cloth but based on my patch (namwa) to date I would figure a foot for the original pstem and then a foot of clearance around it would provide a total circle cutout of 3 feet in diameter. That would contain the three-plant groupings (original plus two followers) in my patch to date. You might get away with a bit less depending on how active you manage the pups, pup placement, type of banana plant (footprint), etc.

I haven't really seen the need for landscape cloth in my patch. The mulch pretty much keeps all the weeds under control. I cut and bag my lawn grass and throw the clippings on the patch all summer. Only the pups push through the clippings. The lawn grass tries to send runners into the patch but I just pull them out a couple times a season and use them to patch weak spots in my yard.

Good luck!
So the pups will come up thru mulch? I have the musa basjoo (im pretty sure I spelled that wrong)

Last edited by Mills23 : 05-15-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add info
Mills23 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mills23
Old 05-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Zone: Zone 9a
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 302
BananaBucks : 917
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 546 Times
Was Thanked 463 Times in 181 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 61 Times
Default Re: Space ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills23 View Post
So the pups will come up thru mulch? I have the musa basjoo (im pretty sure I spelled that wrong)
I don't know what you are using for mulch but they will push up through shaved bark, grass clippings, oak leaves, etc. without any problem. Basjoo get pretty big like namwa.

I spaced my original plants six feet apart. Don't plant the original plants too close together.

Last edited by Akula : 05-15-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added some stuff
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Old 05-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
BananaBucks : 901
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Space ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
I don't know what you are using for mulch but they will push up through shaved bark, grass clippings, oak leaves, etc. without any problem. Basjoo get pretty big like namwa.

I spaced my original plants six feet apart. Don't plant the original plants too close together.
Its just regular wood chips that come in a bag. Mine are planted probably 12 feet apart.
Mills23 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mills23
Sponsors

Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Six A Peel
 
SixtySix's Avatar
 
Location: Dirty South
Zone: 8a
Name: Richard, also
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 74
BananaBucks : 1,054
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 85 Times
Was Thanked 90 Times in 40 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: Space ?

They won't have any problem coming up through shredded hardwood mulch.
SixtySix is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SixtySix
Said thanks:
Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

Previous Thread: Like sun?
Next Thread: Spring?





Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iguanas invading my space destang Main Banana Discussion 5 12-05-2016 11:12 PM
Too tall for space cannasrus Cold Hardy Bananas 13 03-08-2014 09:55 PM
How much space between banana plants? JCA433 Main Banana Discussion 6 09-21-2012 05:59 PM
ran out of space??? 2woodensticks Site Help & Feedback 4 09-12-2012 03:11 AM
Lack of space?? blownz281 Main Banana Discussion 6 10-20-2009 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.