Thread: Goldfinger pups
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,176
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,702 Times in 759 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Goldfinger pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitangadiego View Post
San Diego vs. Florida.

We have much better surfing, less humidity and a lot less bugs, and we can grow more temperate things as well. I'm recalling that the citrus industry has a problem with freezes every winter in Florida as well. We don't have as much trouble filling out a ballot here, either. Did I mention skiing not to far away? Yosemite? Oh, and our avocados are totally superior to anything they can grow in Florida. I'm not at all inclined to trade.
No question about surfing, humidity, or bugs (well, maybe on this one), or temperate plants like stone fruits, nuts, etc. But I think you spoke too soon about the citrus industry because right now the citrus industry in CA is about lose 80%-! of their citrus crop for moving them into the arctic circle, unless they move them back away very soon. Have you seen the pictures in the news? It like looking at the pictures of FL citrus about 10 years ago. Only, I think this freeze in CA is even worse.

Oh, and no! I disagree on the issue of avocados. Most people outside of CA that have sampled FL and CA avocados, including health and nutritional professionals, (and myself), are of the opinion that South American (FL) varieties are superior to Mexican (CA) varieties in taste and nutritional qualities. FL varieties are bigger, has half the fat and half the calories of CA avocados. The only advantages of the CA avocados are that they have a longer shelf life and, like the solo papaya, can be used individually if a smaller serving is needed.

Varieties from one state will grow on the other, but neither will thrive because of the humidity levels and temperatures that each is accustomed to.

Skiing? I'm only 35 minutes away from the ski place in Snoqualmie Summit. And it's usually powdered snow, not cracked ice. But then, my greenhouse heating bill is so-o-o-o high.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong