View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
JoeReal

BananaBucks : 407,935
Said "Thanks" 108 Times
Was Thanked 474 Times in 228 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: California Gold: A true cultivar? (Att. JoeReal)

Perhaps if INIBAP can run genetic analysis, we would know some of its parentage. I'm more than willing to provide a sample.

For sure, there are significant morphological differences in the fruits and taste between D.O. and C.G. I grow them side by side. Other information that I obtained is that C.G. may have come from bananas in the Philippines brought by Filipino immigrants, also another resource saying that it may have come from the highlands of Mexico, and in both cases, all very far from the Orinoco River of Venezuela, so I suspect that it may not be as related to Orinoco.

What is important is that the D.O. and the C.G. are different banana plants before me, with C.G. being conistently cold hardier than D.O.

The best proof is right before my eyes, all of my D.O.'s are severely damaged from this round of Arctic Blasts down to 20 deg F for prolonged periods, the D.O. is now showing signs of complete pseudostem rot while my C.G. have the pseudostems green and intact. I know for sure that next late spring I will have blooms on my C.G. while the D.O. would have to resprout back from the ground, and of course there will still be skeptics amongst us who will never want to retain these facts and observations happening right before my eyes in my own backyard.

I may also have a cold hardier type of Dwarf Brazilian as it withstood the arctic blast with flying colors, and a lot better looking green pseudostem compared to California Gold. Based on the recent outcome of the arctic blast, my Dwarf Brazilian is cold hardier than my California Gold. What would really count would be the first cultivar to leaf out in spring, the result would not be posted in a couple of months, with pics of course.

As usual, these are non-scientific tests, so skeptics and optimists beware.
JoeReal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeReal