View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
BadPun

Zone: 9-10
Name: Andy
BananaBucks : 45,536
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 283 Times in 48 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Peat Moss as a Soil Ammendment?

I've been ammending my soil over the last few months fairly heavily; I've removed the top 1-2 feet of clay soil (think solid clay brick) from my main planting beds and added in compost, manure, and sand in an effort to get a near homogeneous mixture down to a depth of ~3 feet.

My assumption is that the peat moss is to add some water retention characteristics as well as some organic material. With my soil composition I don't think water retention is an issue and I've added in quite a bit of organic material including cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal, manure, and compost. So, am I missing out on anything by not adding in peat moss?

Thanks-

Andy
BadPun is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BadPun
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors