View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eric
Banned

BananaBucks : 138,651
Said "Thanks" 1,364 Times
Was Thanked 855 Times in 421 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 163 Times
Default Re: Banana Newbie Needs Help Please

Welcome aboard, Leolady ! Not my usual intro since there are some Vital info-needs here but if you have any questions about using the forum, just ask! It's informative and very friendly here.
Now, the questions:
You can never know too much OR have enough questions .
1. Zebrina will need to be indoors in winter BUT most gardeners, in zones like yours, Do leave the Basjoos out under heavy mulching. Wood chips mulch is fine for that.
We can discuss over-wintering later. I've over-wintered Blue Java bananas for 3 years with total success (zone-7). It's a real art.
2. The small pots will be BEST to use right now. With winter approaching, you do Not want them in larger pots. Bananas typically grow Very slowly in Winter. They should recieve Very Little water or food during the cold months. If simply stored, no water at all is Best.
3. GET THOSE BANANA PLANTS DRIED OUT QUICK! Bananas are Very Sensitive to being wet. The soil should be moist & should be allowed to dry out between waterings. Wet soil will cause yellowing of the leaves & corm-rot. Corm-rot will kill a banana plant.
4. Urn pots will be fine But remember, a pot that's just barely big enough is usually Best during the winter. I know this from 3 years of experience (& super success).
On the Urn pots, make sure they have holes for drainage.
5. THE "NPK" NUMBERS ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Please post to let us know .
There are many great soil mixes. I use about 1/3 light potting soil, 1/3 dried oak (etc) leaves, and 1/3 sand. I also use a 2-1-3 type fertilizer. NPK means Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potassium(Potash). For nanners, the mix is usually best if it's 1 part Nitrogen to 1.5 parts Potassium (Nanners Luv Potassium). Feedings should be by sprinkling around the plant and should be done once every 2-3 weeks during summer, less often in winter.
6. The bags of Perlite & Compost you have will be great for making soil mixes. The Perlite can be used like sand to provide good drainage (Banana plants dont like wet feet).

If ya need more info, me or another member will be happy to provide it. Best of Luck!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric