View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Kim
Fresh Banana Peel

Zone: 9-10
Name: Kim
BananaBucks : 14,853
Said "Thanks" 537 Times
Was Thanked 106 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 74 Times
Default Re: Are you Superstitious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
...And thanx for the dictionary definition....As for the survey:...Sometimes colors of the rainbow are great cause they're in a natural, prismatic sequence. But I Luv red and yellows cause they're firey colors and I'm a little firey myself. But cold colors are great, especially in the summer!
Quote:
...what colors have to do with superstision,...One thing for sure, whatever had the rabbit's foot, before me, was Anything but lucky....colors & superstision and it's got my curiosity going.
Quote:
... Just cause ya add nitrogen doesn't absolutely mean that's what caused it to grow faster. So ya do the opposite to see if that might be what caused it. Jeeps! That's a whole new way to think about it! And the null hypothesis is to make sure you're right. Thanx Sbl...BTW, still can't figure out what colors have to do with superstision, guys.
Eric, You are welcome for the definition and Thank you for your input.
Your first quote seems to be:
Preference of Color.

Your second quote falls in the line of:
Objects vs Action
Your third quote opens up to another way of thinking. As for the Colors and how they relate to fear of being superstitious, see following examples:

Red vehicles are fast when standing motionless--Fear of a speeding ticket.

Blue, the color of water--Fear of drowning.
Green paint on a race car (in the older days)--Fear of an accident.
Brown the color of dirt--fear of death.

Are these Superstitions or Preferences?

Fear is a major point of Superstitious behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl View Post
My simple definition of a superstitious person: A person that believes that something good or bad will follow specific actions based on unfounded beliefs, for example "We will win if I wear my red shirt". The belief may be based on observations or correlations that are factual and accurate, but have no logical basis for the correlations. For example--the team may have won in the past when I wore my red shirt--or may have lost when I didn't....Modern scientific knowledge is based on falsifiable hypotheses, since it is often impossible to prove the truth, but much easier to prove that something is false. A win when I am wearing my red shirt does not prove my superstition, but a loss while I am wearing my red shirt does prove it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl View Post
A falsifiable hypothesis: A hypothesis that can be tested and proven false. We often use a null hypothesis (the opposite of what we really want to prove), because we can prove that false....An example--Hypothesis: Bananas will grow faster with added nitrogen fertilizer....Our null hypothesis would be: Bananas will not grow faster with added nitrogen fertilizer....The experiment would need to be replicated and measurements set up so that they could be analyzed using statistics. If we tried to test the original hypothesis, we would probably find it true, but we would not know how true or how certain we could be that it was true. But the null hypothesis would probably be found to be false and we would be able to use statistics to say how certain we are that the hypothesis is false--ie 95% or 99%.

Thank you for your input sbl. I'm currious; What percentage of spectators wore red shirts to the games?

Facts vs hypothesis

My next question deals with UFO's (Unidentified Flying Objects) or USO's (Unidentified Submersable Object). Many people relate UFO's / USO's to extraterrestrial space crafts. I have seen many things in our sky that I could not identify. (More than others because of my military career).

---idea for icon: Nanner in a plane---

Anyway, here's the next question.

Is it superstition (fear of the unknown) or fact that determines a response from anyone who see's a UFO in the sky?