View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #187 (permalink)
Prometheus

Zone: 5-6
Name: Brad
BananaBucks : 15,289
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 44 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 15 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Hey All,

Great and informative thread (it took a while to read it all). I'm in zone 5 (Michigan) and a newbie banana nut. I just moved houses this summer, so all my nanners are in pots right now and in their first year (roughly) of growth (I'm planning on planting many of them in the ground next year). So, the great wintering question comes up - any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's my little collection:

3 Musa Basjoo - 5', 2.5', and 1.5' (pup I removed)
1 Red Abyssinian - 4'
3 Siam Ruby - 6' (two of them - 3 pups), 5', 2' (pup removed)
3 KRU - 3', 3', 3'
1 unknown Musa - 3.5'
1 IC (Blue Java) - 3'
1 - Dwarf Cavendish - 1'' - met an accident and got chopped at the corm - looks like it's peaking through with new growth - I hope it recovers - will it?

I also have a some giant EE - Colocasias and a beautiful Alocasia EE, and several Canna's

THE PLAN
I have an empty bedroom upstairs (South facing Window) and plenty of room in the basement - small west windows (65F) through the winter.

EE's/Canna's - chop to nothing and store the bulbs
Alocasia - plan to keep in front of the sliding door (south facing)

Nanners - Hmmm... I was hoping to just move most of them into the basement in their pots or upstairs bedroom (basement preferred) and only water sparingly if absolutely bare-bones dry. I have windows reserved for some of them.

QUESTIONS
What do you think?
Should I remove any leaves?
I heard spider mites become a large problem - should I worry too much?
Do the plants "drip" during their indoor wintering?
Should I provide supplemental light to sustain them?
When should I make the move? The Siam Ruby is the least cold tolerant - correct? I figured I'd wait until the nights start dropping below 45F.
When should I stop watering them? Should I fertilize again?

Thanks a million to anyone who feels compelled to read my little novella here and thanks in advance for any advice. What am I missing? Thanks again.

--Brad Ann Arbor, MI
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Prometheus
Said thanks: