View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
JoeS475
Winter Sucks...

Zone: 6-7
Name: Joe
BananaBucks : 99,700
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Super Dwarf Cavendish Care...

dragr13,

I use (Scotts brand, because its easy to get at Home Depot) 1/3 Potting Soil, 1/3 Perlite, and 1/3 Peat Moss. Combines with Miracle Gro tomato food in the summer only, approximately a 20-20-20 fertilizer. Everything grows very well, although I know there are better and more nutritious soil mixes out there! I'm planning to try better 'ingredients' in the spring.

Chong,

You're helping me out once again! I had no idea about the way water runs through a potted plant once its dry. I knew it went through faster, but figured the moisture would spread OK given time. A few of my bananas are extremely dry and I only give them a little water in the hopes that they will make it through the winter semi-dormant with not quite enough light. Some are looking a little worse for wear, like the light is ok, but the water isn't enough. I'm watering frequently, but not in great amounts. The plants seem almost bone dry the next day after watering.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should give them an occasional long soak in the bath. Rotting isn't a problem since I made sure all plants were very pot bound and they gulp every bit of water they get!

4 more months of this, still hoping for the best...

~Joe

JoeS475 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeS475