View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #64 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 730,712
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: Genetically modified bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypickle View Post
Gene modified corn has another drawback for those of us who happen to enjoy the sight of migrating Monarch butterflies. Corn, modified by adding a genetic sequence that allows it to produce Bacillus Thurengiences Kills the larvae of Monarch butterfles. The gene enhanced corn produces pollen that is laced with BT. The pollen dshisces form tne tassel early in the morning while the dew is still on the leaves of the Monarchs favourite food plants. These plants commonly grow in ditches and other waste areas where corn is grown. The pollen adheres to the leaves of the milkweed plants that the larvae require to feed on. The larvae feed upon the leaves and are killed by the BT from the pollen grains. I know that this is true. I researched it and used it as a basis for my Biologymassters theme paper several years ago. Everyone got all upset by it, but guess what. Monsanto filed a lawsuit and everything got all hushed up. Result: You cannot find enough Monarch butterflies migrating through here to fill a decent matchbox, and this used to be a prominent flyway for Monarchs migrating through here in the fall. They used to cover the cedars here for several days. but no more. I haven't seen more than 1 or 2 each fall now for at least 7-8 years. Sigh I surely do miss them. they were sooo beautiful, but aparently also disposable. Monkeypickles It is not just a matter of "will it harm humans." What about "will it cause the extinction of other life forms." True. the Monarch butterfly is just another insect so who cares? But sometimes, the extinction of some seemingly unimportant member of the ecosystem leads to the extinction of another, which leads to the extinction pf another.......until one day maybe, it will make humans life impossible. Oh well. No one ever listens anyway. I am an old duffer, so it probably won't impact me . I'll be gone anyway. Good luck to the rest of you!
Monkeypickles (great name, btw!), I did a little research on your findings, and it seems that there was a very extensive study done on this since yours. You'll be happy to know that their results reported that BT corn poses no significant risk to monarch butterflies! I thought that was good news, because I was concerned after reading your post. Here's a little excerpt from the USDA report:

There is no significant risk to monarch butterflies from environmental exposure to Bt corn, according to research conducted by a group of scientists coordinated by the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), U.S. Department of Agriculture. This research was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

That Bt corn might present a risk became a matter of scientific and public concern when a small experiment in 1999 indicated caterpillars suffered when given no choice but to feed on milkweed leaves heavily dusted with Bt corn pollen.

The full story can be found here: http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/btcorn/index.html#bt1

Certainly good news!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks: