View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rmplmnz
Banana Patch Attendent

Zone: 10
Name: Rmplmnz
BananaBucks : 117,532
Said "Thanks" 2,246 Times
Was Thanked 2,348 Times in 636 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 36 Times
Default Re: Which bananas produce the biggest p-stem?

[quote=damaclese;90363]i don't mean to contradict any one but with out a doubt the largest P-stem goes to the Musa Ingens

No contradiction perceived; just positive comments about other species. No doubt in ideal/native climates plants reach their full potential. Unfortunately I can not duplicate the Musa Ingens climate. The primary reason I grow Sabas is because they are my personal favorite to eat (tostones, boiled, fried ripe, eaten out of hand; etc.,) and are so versatile. Another favorite is Hua Moa.

Anyway it would be nice to see some photos of large Ingens growing within IBS member gardens. Interesting how the leaves grow upright like the Fei and Pisang Jari Buaya (a conversation we were having on another thread). Thanks for the post!

[quote=damaclese;90363]"The undisputed King of the Musa family, this magnificent, wild species grows to a staggering 16 meters in height and literally towers over parts of the surrounding Nothofagus forest. It has been found growing on the edges of the highland Kau swamps at elevations of 2000 meters. This is the largest herb in the world. Pseudostems growing 2 meters or more in circumference, sparsely suckering, its leaves can reach a mature size of 5 meters long and 1 meter wide with pedicles growing to a length of 60 cm.

Last edited by Rmplmnz : 08-11-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Rmplmnz is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Rmplmnz
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors