View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #74 (permalink)
permaculturekidd

Zone: Zone 9b
Name: Lee
BananaBucks : 12,409
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
In my locality, acid-loving plants left to the elements will perish and the native plants are fruitless, in fact somewhat toxic to mammals. However, on my half-acre I grow a few hundred varieties of edible plants for myself and hundreds more in containers for my nursery business. I use less water per month than the each of my neighbors and utilize responsible water-soluble fertilizers to boost production for my family use. The county department of Agriculture was here today on a quarterly inspection and have decided my property is a wildlife refuge.

"Organic" is a religion. If you want to talk about responsible gardening you'll need to be more specific with your terminology: http://www.plantsthatproduce.com/col...09_Organic.htm

The acid-loving part was just something to say instead of buying mineral powders to the soil which in some cases is needed. But Oak, Pine, blackberry many tropicals, etc... love acidic or slightly acidic soils.

I am abit more localized in my growing beliefs since I do not want to fertilize with anything farther than 50 miles away. Though for me is relatively easy I have rivers, marshes, lakes, oceans, forests, pasture and savanna to comb for fertilizer if need be.

So I wouldn't be focusing my mineral need on one place and with alittle management thousands of people could get the fertilizers needed outside of intercropping and simply throwing plant waste in piles around or near what ever plant your growing.

I personally don't like Organic; to broad even those other types of organic seem to broad. I just believe in using the growing materials around you to utilize.
permaculturekidd is offline   Send A Private Message To permaculturekidd