View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bob
Orang Puteh

Zone: 6a
Name: bob
BananaBucks : 206,675
Said "Thanks" 9,537 Times
Was Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,694 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 565 Times
Default Re: Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my Musa Basjoo by these pics?

Tom , I hope Damaclese sees this and will help. He is in your area and will know the climate and requirements better. I believe you are in a very hot area and that might be the first clue. Let's start with your "overwatering". Is it possible that the water is running off and not getting to the roots as well as it could be? I use the most inexpensive landscape edging and make a ring around the plant in about a 3' circle, this will direct the majority of water to the root zone. I then place the hose on the ground nside the ring and walk away...... ususally with a cold can of my favorite beverage. Depending on the size of the plant and in your case the heat of a south facing microclimate against a wall you may need more water than you think. By chance did you use the water retaining miracle grow mix? I have heavy clay and use a lot of peat moss and homemade compost. It takes me 3 cans to water my garden(about 1 1/2 hours) fortunately ....or unfortunately I've only had to water 3 times this year due to excessive rains. Bananas in hot zone will suck up the water at an incredible volume. The trick is to give them enough without rotting the corm. Once again I hope Paul sees this and can offer local help.