View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bob
Orang Puteh

Zone: 6a
Name: bob
BananaBucks : 205,550
Said "Thanks" 9,537 Times
Was Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,694 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 565 Times
Default Re: Help! B.I.D. (Banana in Distress)

Rob , your constant hight temps could have something to do with it. Also I'm not sure 5-8 gallons of water your applying is all getting to the plant. The few times I've watered this year I leave the hose at base of plant and walk away for a few minutes. I also use a ring of landscape edging or other plastic in a large ring around the base of plants. From reading here I've come to find that high nitrogen fertilizers can potentially over time acidify your soil and create a situation where the plant isn't taking up other necesary nutrients. This has proved true in my garden where I've had better growth this year using less 5-2-6 than a lot of 5-1-1 or 12-0-0 which I used to use.
Since the pup is growing so well you may not have a problem at all so don't panic just yet. Pics would help. Keep us posted.

Forgot to add, what's your soil like? If you have a local cooperative extension service these guys can be great. Even if you're a schmoe from New Jersey trying to grow bananas if they have time, in my case(it's a mile up the road) the guy was kind of fascinated knew my neighborhood and soil type, and was very helpful. Never overlook free or at least inexpensive proffesional help.

Last edited by Bob : 08-02-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Bob
Said thanks: