View Single Post
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,193
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,702 Times in 759 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Another UK member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
SteelViper,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Chong,

Thanks to you too. . . . . . . . . . . Even though I've mollycoddled them and had them inside over winter, they die back. I'm wondering from reading your post, if they've not had sufficient light.

I've done quite well with ornamental musas.

Much luck to you too.
Paul,
You're very welcome. You might be right about the light thing. You didn't say whether you have yours outside where it gets at least 30% sunlight for 10 hours. Just to show you how important it is, the Dwarf Cavendish (DC) that I recovered from my brother had been doing great for over 25 years and had been producing lots of pups every year, although it never fruited. But then, I told him to keep it near the 10-ft wide sliding glass door because the location was on the North side of his house.

For those 25 years, he kept them there. But for some reason, when he rearranged his furniture, he placed them in the middle of the room, where it might have complimented the furniture arrangement. Now, my brother is an architect. He's more into aesthetics than function. I'm a mechanical engineer, and I'm conscious about temperature, humity, light, and all those environmental situations. So as soon as I saw the condition of his bananas, I was very disappointed and just prayed that some of them survived. The last time I saw them was 4 or 5 months before and they were fine. There were probably 4 or 5 pups in each pot. Now all that's left were those 2 little pups I spoke about earlier.

Besides the lighting, another issue might be your potting medium. Whatever it is, I would suggest that you mix some 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch pumice or lava rocks to your potting soil. In the ground, if your soil is clayish, I'd do the same thing. In the ground, I suppose you can also use pea gravel. This would improve the drainage of the soil. Usually, I have a 40% pumice to 60% soil mixture. While bananas are voracious feeders and can stand short periods of wet base, they do not like "their feet wet all the time". On the other hand, you do not want the soil to get totally dry.

If you're already doing all of this, maybe there might be issues with the environment where you store your corms in the winter.

Glad chatting with you . . .

Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Sponsors