View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Eric
Banned

BananaBucks : 138,121
Said "Thanks" 1,364 Times
Was Thanked 855 Times in 421 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 163 Times
Default Re: This is a early winter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyup4christ View Post
How much water in the winter if light from large windows s available will they continue to grow.
If kept indoors & potted at temps of 75 F or better, I give them some water Only if the leaves begin to droop a bit but only feed them (lightly) once in the middle of winter (if at all).
If kept indoors & potted at temps below that, I give them no water or food at all.
In either case, this reduced watering is vital whether sunlight is sufficient or not. Water during the winter encourages corm-rot.
BTW, the amount of light I give them seems to have no affect on growth-rate. They always grow just as slow in the storage room as they do in the very-well lit & sunlit indoor atrium.

Brownz281: Even if kept at 75 F or better, Banana plants will typically grow Very slowly, putting out only 1 or 2 leaves during the entire winter. I've never found a way around that mild-dormancy problem.

For the past three years, I have kept 4 Blue Javas alive & well using these techniques. They are 12-16' tall and their pups are 6-12' tall.
I did finally lose 1 this year by accidentally storing it in damp soil at around 50 degrees F. It died of corm-rot.

For reference, here's some of those Blue Javas & Pups this year:

Last edited by Eric : 07-27-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Not finished
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric