Thread: Aloha
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ohio'sBest

Name: Chris
BananaBucks : 74,955
Said "Thanks" 57 Times
Was Thanked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Nelson View Post
All bananas (cultivars, species) are suspectible to the banana bunchy top virus.

But, in Hawaii the Cavendish types are more susceptible; they develop severe symptoms quite rapidly and fields can be lost.

The Dwarf Brazilian 'Santa Catarina' bananas are less susceptible in the sense that they develop symptoms more slowly than Cavendish.

Most of our Cavendish ('Williams') farmers in Hawaii had to make a switch from Cavendish to Dwarf Brazilian in order to stay in business farming bananas, and it worked for them in areas under high bunchy top pressure.

We think that Dwarf Brazilian bananas are physically tougher, that is, they are more difficult to knock down with bulldozers than are the 'Williams.' This toughness (more Si in their tissues?) in the plant tissues might interfere with banana aphid feeding behavior.

Interstingly, Australia and Hawaii scientists are indepdently working to produce GMO bananas; early reports indicate that they have produced some BBTV-resistant plants. I do not think the plants are available for the general public (at least not in Hawaii) at this time. I think some more work is required.

I hope this answers your question.

Scot N.
So Mr. Nelson, do you think that feeding silica to banana plants will be advantageous to their stem walls to prevent bugs and wind damage?
Ohio'sBest is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Ohio'sBest