Thread: Hi
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
sbl

Zone: 8/9
BananaBucks : 65,681
Said "Thanks" 177 Times
Was Thanked 731 Times in 395 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 154 Times
Default Re: Hi

Actually, I have been growing the unknown banana that is now blooming as a landscape plant for about 20 years. It has produced a bloom or 2 in the past 20 years (without any protection), but almost always late in the season when there was not enough time for it to mature. In the last yr or so someone told me how to get it through the winter so that it could bloom and that I could protect a late bloom until it warms up in the spring. So now I am looking forward to a fully tree ripened banana and seeing how it taste.

I bought a banana last year from Lowe's that was suppose to be a dwarf Cavendish, but now I have my doubts. It has a solid red trunk--very slender and was very cold sensitive, far more than the Raji Puri that I bought by mail order last summer that is also blooming.

I know I will have to grow my new Dwarf (Cuban) Red in a container, but I do hope that eventually, I can put my Dwarf Cavendish and my Ice Cream in the ground here. I have seen conflicting info on how much cold these varieties can take.
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sbl
Said thanks: