View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
mrbungalow
Freezing member

Zone: 8
Name: Erlend
BananaBucks : 45,775
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 165 Times in 78 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Going to buy the Tissue Culture kit

Quote:
The antibiotics that the makers of PPM are using, and if one is not careful, it could encourage the development of even stronger microbial contaminants. So limit its use or alternate with other methods of sterilization or use other antibiotic types. I am just worried that the use of such things will bring anew the viscious cycle of developing new antibiotics. The use of alcohol sprays, pressure cooker for sterilization are old reliable standard ways of sterilization without encouraging the microbial antibiotic's resistances. A nice enclosed hood with adjustable positive or negative pressure is a very good workbench for a lot of tissue culture. They are easy to build if these are pricey.
I have worked in a modern bio-technology lab before, and remember using some of the lab-equipment for my private plant-hobby. (Don't tell anyone!)
Anyway, I used the autoclave to sterilize soil before I used it for planting palm-seeds etc. I still got mold on some of the boxes, even though I dipped seeds in bleach-solution first! I think it's probably impossible to get everything sterile, unless you have a perfectly sterile environment. Modern sterile-benches have a flow-hood that heats and cools air coming out. I can guarantee you, that my kitchen is far from sterile, in spite of all that good scandinavian cooking!

A smart professor once said "Never underestimate the power of microbes".

This sixth-grade students' experiment I mentioned earlier was interesting. Such a dramatic difference with PPM. And kids have a way of putting things simple.

But offcourse, I understand what you are saying. The TC-industry has obviously done well before the PPM-era, and there probably are alternatives.
And I am not thrilled about using antibiotics needlessly.

Erlend