View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jack Daw
I think with my banana ;)

Zone: Dfa (Köppen-geiger) <-> 7b/8a? (USDA)
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 209,293
Said "Thanks" 2,771 Times
Was Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 383 Times
Default Re: Gran Nain, Grand Nain, or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatiansoap View Post
Hope so!
What is maind difference between DC and Gran Nain?
I would say that the hardiness to the cold and maybe yields, of that I am however unsure. Dwarf Cavendish can hardly survive the whole long period of cold going down to 0°C or 3°C. Yet, Grand Nain, grown in the Mediterranean region grows in plantains without any significant problems.

Also, the yielding is different, when in midler climates. DC is a tropical banana and GN seems to be more of subtropical one. Kalabrian said, that the DC was planted in southern Italy with little succes, because the plants, even though they survived, had little fruit (if I recall well).
This however shouldn't be the issue with GN, as it doesn't seem to mind the cold period. DC is also pretty damaged below 10°C, whch makes it quite unsuitable for growing in our locations. I use the SDC only as a thermometer.

Each year I will plant with the other nanas also a small SDC and when I see in the autumn or winter, that SDC is going down and dying, I will know it's time to pull out the other, cold hardier nanas. Pretty cruel, but effective non the less.
SDC can not withstand light frosts during the night, yet subtropical nanas can, so that will be the sign. One morning, I wake up and the SDC will be dying. Its life will have purpose though.

Zeitgeist - Corporatocracy 101 (~2hrs)

Zeitgeist - Moving Forward (~2.5hrs)
Jack Daw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jack Daw
Said thanks: