View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 732,784
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: Mangosteens and other tropical fruits found in Knoxville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog Tan View Post
Frank, come here, the mangosteens are cheaper than in Thailand - only $ 3.30 for 3 kg or 6.6 lbs! I will treat you till you drop of asthma! Well, that's what the locals believe, too many mangosteens cools the body down. The thing is, they come around the same time as the durians which heats up the body, so the mangosteens balances the body's chemistry during the fruit season.

Fyi, here are the local names for it;
Thai = Mangkut
Malay = Manggis
Chinese = Sarn Chuk
I've hear the same thing about them cooling the body down. They say if you eat too much durian, you can overheat, so you're supposed to eat mangosteens afterwards. Pretty neat!

The longans and lychees I bought don't taste near as good as I remember them being in Thailand! I was especially disappointed with the longans. Real nutty-tasting, and just not that good. My girlfriend said that the lychees tasted like a mild cleaner, LOL. I liked them OK though. Still not the same as in Thailand.

I did get some frozen durian too. They are supposed to have some fresh durian and rambutans in next week! Hope the rambutans aren't as disappointing as the longans were. They have lots of the veges too, and fish, meats, etc. They had the "baby bananas," "burro bananas," and a plantain of some sort. Fun to discover something like this though!

Thanks,

Frank
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog