View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
rich985

Zone: 9
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 58,171
Said "Thanks" 43 Times
Was Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 12 Times
Default Putting the chickens to work

Hey everyone, new here to the Banana forum.
I have 2 banana trees( Ice Cream and Goldfinger) that are about 2 1/2 ft tall. I bought em from a nursery in south phoenix in april, and since then, they're put out new leaves, but have only grown half a foot. The guy at the nursery that they grow so fast you can hear them grow, lol. I've seen some of the pics of your guys' growth in 2 months and its amazing.

Maybe its because I haven't been fertilizing them? I water them every two days in the scorching Phoenix sun, and have them on the east side of the house to give them some shade during the hottest part of the day after 2:30pm. Either way, I have 10 chickens, and instead of just throwing their poop away every week, maybe I could apply it to my bananas? Or should I hold off on giving them fertilizer because they are too young and might burn the roots? I also heard that making compost is good, but have no clue about it.

Any help would be great, and i'll try to get some pics.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors