Thread: Water suckers
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #43 (permalink)
proletariatcsp

Zone: zone 10
Name: Chris in FL
BananaBucks : 90,581
Said "Thanks" 148 Times
Was Thanked 186 Times in 83 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Water suckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
Roots never form suckers, they only come from the corm.

As Tog pointed out, water suckers form from bits of corm and from chopped down plants because the shoots need to immediately start photosynthesizing themselves instead of acquiring photosynthate from the rest of the plant which has leaves. Water suckers can also form from old established mats, I suppose they occur from a complex coincidence of certain anatomical and environmental circumstances (such as how old the corm section its coming off of is, or how exposed to the sun it is etc..)

Keep in mind that whether or not a sucker is sword or water, they are genetically identical and one is not going to be overall better than another, there just may be some growth differences initially when young. Some studies have found differences in the first fruit bunch, and some have found none, I think it really depends on cultivar and environment, as do most results of this sort. TC plants are the ultimate water suckers, and they grow up just fine, in some cases outgrowing field separated suckers initially, but again, after the first generation is doesn't matter how they plant was propagated.
Thanks for this excellent update Gabe! I thought so. I have watched a group of nanners for about a year now. I dont know what they are but at the time I first started watching them, there were about 10 plants on one mat. Last summer, there were 3 huge bunches growing at the same time. They eventually ripened but unfortunately the wind and the birds destroyed them. I think depending on the species, that even many pseudos on one mat can still produce large bunches?

Last edited by proletariatcsp : 06-14-2009 at 12:25 AM.
proletariatcsp is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To proletariatcsp
Said thanks: