View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 734,151
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: Show your VARIEGATED Plants here!

I wish I could show you all opf the variegated plants that I've killed...hey, I do have pics of some of them! Here's a variegated Oxalis (Wood Sorrell), which is a horribly invasive weed in the greenhouse at school. This one came up in a pot and IMMEDIATELY caught my eye, LOL! Invasive weed ot not, it was beautiful. RIP! Yep, I killed it.

Here's a variegated Hippeastrum papilio that I started from seed. I know...you're not supposed to be able to get seeds from H. papilio! I'm here to tell you that it can happen. This year, from our four plants at the greenhouse, I got 2 seeds out of 8 pods. Most of the time, you just get chaff. A couple of years ago, this was one of the seedlings. Last year, had 2 pods full of good seeds! About 1/3 came up solid white, and the other 2/3 came up green. Ok...this plant is still alive...BUT...it's outgrown its variegation, lol. I've killed the main meristem to try to get it to sprout a variegated side shoot. Wish me luck!

Here's another highly-invasive weed in the greenhouse, a Hemigraphis sp. Last winter, it lost almost all of its leaves in the garage, despite being under lights and getting water, and reverted back completely to green this spring! Thankfully, a new shoot has appeared that is variegated, so there is still hope.

A variegated Ensete ventricosum that I actually still have. Please...there's nothing exciting about this one, LOL! The white parts burn in the sun, and the leaves are slightly deformed also. Still have it though. Matter of fact, I just drug it out from under the house, lol.

Alocasia macrorrhiza 'Variegata':

Alocasia gageana 'Variegata':

Here's a cool branch sport from an already variegated Pittosporum tobira at my folks' house in Gainesville, FL. There are several branches like this! I've told Mom not to trim it til I get back next month for cuttings, LOL!

This is one of my favorites right now, and I'm very proud of it! It is a variegated Catharanthus (Madagascar Periwinkle) that was a branch sport off of an old plant in the greenhouse. As it has grown, it has emerged with a stable yellow border! Love it.

You can see that the older leaves didn't have a stable border.

Somewhere, I had some pics of a highly variegated sport off of my variegated Yucca gloriosa. Oh well...that's all that remains of it is pictures anyway. Killed it in the greenhouse this past winter. There are others around somewhere too, but I don't want to take up the whole thread, lol!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks: