View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,173
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,702 Times in 759 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: New plant questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaboru View Post
I was lucky I came across them myself. Because they were reorganizing their stock and I almost didn't see it because it was hidden behind carts of newly arrived plants. But good luck anyways...

There is two Lowes around here... I often check them out both every two weeks or so and I amazed at how often some of the rarer plants come and go. So I often visit the nursery section of Home Depot and Lowes (and even Target) every so often and spend an hour each time browsing for the special plants. Most of the time, I don't find anything good (just think of it as a visit to the botanical garden ). But for those few times I do, I think it is totally worth it.

Chong, the price is indeed teriffic and I am sorta dying here because I want to go back and buy more but I don't know where I am going to plant them. No space, most of my "garden" is in pots only. Whats ironic is that HD over here has Ice Cream and Dwarf Cavendish in 5 gallon pots in the $20 dollar range and the plants were not that much bigger than the $3.33 6~8 inch pot 'Novak'.

Not my Magnolia coco, I only dream of having one though. Cannot locate a good source for this plant. The fragrance is legendary from what I know, but I might end up getting Magnolia lilifera (Talauma) instead from Logee'sé.

Dar
Dar,

Where are you located? I'm getting some more M. Coco's pretty soon. Though I think Talauma Candollei may be a little more fragrant than M. Coco. But I think M. Coco is closer to M. Alba (Joy Perfume Tree) in fragrance. Also, expecting some M. Alba.

We have a tropical form of M. Coco in the Philippines, that only grows to 8 feet in height. It is more of the Magnolia Odoratissima variety. And that one has a really enchanting fragrance.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further. PM me if you're interested in a M. Coco.

Cheers,
Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong