Thread: Lost!!
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 431,631
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: Lost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha010 View Post
I'm learning more Malay each day!

And, maybe during the off-shoot removal and maintenance, possibly offering these pups that have been removed for sale?

Also, I have been pondering a business venture in my neck of the woods/ side of pond. With the economy here the way it is, my city has lost alot of manufacturing companies resulting in large areas of land with large warehouse sized buildings for sale, cheaply I might add. I wanted to buy some of these buildings and go indoors with growing tropical plants, fruit and extremely rare exotics on large scale and sell the fruit to local grociery and gourmet stores and tropical plants to nurseries and department stores, and the extremely rare exotics to local collectors (regardless of economy, we have an enourmous amount of people near here with alot of exhaustible resources). My wife has mixed feelings about doing that but never told me no. I just might have to get some prices and do some calculating on an economical level to see what I will need for startup, how much time I'm going to need to spend daily, end user pricing, and profitability and draw up a plan and see what family members I can enlist short-term to aid me in this venture.

Anyways, something on the level of what you are attempting is awesome, just awesome. I would love keep up with the happenings of your project Tog, sounds very, very interesting!

Shaggy
Shaggy, I have spoken to one of the members here who does serious farming and asking him maybe he should have a hand in exotic ornamentals. In this field, you will have to do a lot of research on the varieties available and no matter how the economy is, there's always customers; if the economy is down, they need to amuse themselves with something different/interesting and they don't mind spending the $ on this. When the economy is good, of course they have the spending power to get what they want. Looking at the plant industry here, the sales have picked up even in the economy downtime as people are turning to gardening rather than spend the $ on frivolous shopping. My logic is, the soil, labor, potting utensil and the watering bill is the same for an ordinary plant as for an exotic one. Why do the ordinary when the profit is so much higher from the exotic? This is a niche market and if you do it well, the business will always be there. This is the choice I have made when I went into the business.

I should launch the Ladang Musaceae website by the end of the year. Besides, 'naners, it will be full of rare stuff like variegated plants from as many genus as I can find, interesting cycads, rare palms and plants which are indigenous to here like the gingers and the dracaenas.

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks: