View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #237 (permalink)
lorax
Banned

Zone: USDA 13 / Köppen-Geiger BSh
Name: Lorax
BananaBucks : 301,446
Said "Thanks" 742 Times
Was Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,188 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 464 Times
Default Re: Weird Food - Care to share?

To the uninitiated, Churrasco is a weird food, and to many North Americans, the idea that it's a breakfast meal, as opposed to a lunch or dinner, is definitely weird.

Chong, I think you're bang on for the reason for not so many Filipino restaurants, and I'd add to that that it's the reason you don't see many Bolivarian Andean (ie Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia) restaurants either. People here are used to good food served slowly, but everywhere else it's go go go! I personally think it's better to linger over dinner, but then again, I'm weird when I'm in NorAm.

If you'd like, Dan, here's the Ecuadorean take on Garlic Fried Rice, called Chaulafan Al Ajo. Watching it being done properly is like good theatre.

- Crushed (hard) 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic, husk removed,
- a dash of achiote-flavoured oil
- as much leftover rice as you have in the fridge (and here it's always the leftovers)
- a pinch of salt
- green peas, about a handful
- an egg (optional, but usual)
- any of the bits of chugchucarra or fritada you might have laying around.

Crumble the rice with clean wet hands into separate grains. Toss in the peas and the bits of pork.

Heat the copper bowl (or wok) to medium with the achiote oil and until the oil crackles when you flick water in, then throw in the garlic and sautee until it's golden-brown.

Now, increase the heat, throw in the rice mix and salt, and toss it until it's evenly coated (with the achiote oil, this is easy because it stains the grains a red-brown colour). Keep tossing until all the grains have a uniform colour, then return the pan to the flame, reduce the heat back to medium, swirling (but not tossing), until everything is hissing and spitting. If it gets crispy at the bottom too fast, reduce the heat and add a bit more oil. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

The egg option is done in the same way as Chong describes, except that since this whole exercise is done without utensils in Ecuador, you throw the egg in and then toss the rice to coat it. This is why a large copper bowl is used - the two big handles make it easy to flip the contents about.

----

Chong - is the Leche Flan something to the effect of layers of cream and gelatine with a bit of cakey stuff? If it is, then it's the same thing that we call Tres Leches here. Muy yummy!
lorax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To lorax
Said thanks: