View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
D'Andra

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 4,248
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: dying banana tree

Let me share something that I learned.

I bought a couple of dwarf cavs a few years ago for indoors. I watered them and kept them moist for a few months and they did okay. After a few months I got really sick and was pretty much stuck in bed for 2 months. During this time they were in a room with a window facing S and one facing W. The blinds were opened so they got some light through a screened window. The temp was about 70f the whole time and they never were watered or misted. They still looked pretty good! When I felt better I started watering, and they took off. Only problem is one of them got more light than the other. They were both watered equally, and the one with just a little less light curled up and died.

This was a very small difference in light but it seemed to make the difference. The one that survived I put in the yard in April and it is doing great. 6'+ to the top of the leaves and 3 pups.

I also bought a cav pup this year and put it in a pot for a couple of months. I noticed when I lighlty watered it, I could see the area right above the roots dry out in a day or two. Then watered it a little again.

They do like water but it's relative to the size of the plant and the amount of light.

On misting:It worked well for me for awhile until I started seeing little brown burns on the leaves. I stopped misting and they went away. I tried misting with dechlorinated water and they love it! It's something about the city water here. It's very acidic. The roots seem to love it but not the leaves.

Garnetmoth, I plan on planting some of them in earthworm castings and just watering them lightly. That should take care of the fertilizer issue during the winter.

D'.
D'Andra is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To D'Andra