View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 431,850
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: My Trip to Belum - 12th May '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
You got 2 hours sleep? You must have been really tired to get all that in! Food poisoning, finding the holy grail, and a new (at least unidentified) species. My first impression was that it looked a bit like my "Burmese blue" that just developed a purplish tone to the upper P-stem but, I still haven't developed a trained eye for bananas yet. Well, your next adventure is pretty clear. Very exiting stuff. ......I'm saving my pennies, some day I'll get an adventure in.
Bob, I only got the 2 cultivars as they were the top on my priority list. I was saving space in my trunk for other plants later. I didn't realised I would be too screwed to do any collecting. I did see a plant of the Pisang Ambon there with bud and bloom and I can confirm it is the Gros Michel. So looks like by the time I can get all the Gros Michel stuff over to you, we are the only 2 guys in town with all of the Holy Grails!

The thing about this No ID musa is that the color of the p-stem and the texture of the upper surface of the leaf did not match any of the known M'sian species. The nearest I can place it is the Musa corneri, Holttum, which is an invalid taxa but I doubt it cos it's way out of its range. I will have to go back and find matured plants which are blooming and in fruit.

I hope you can make it here one day, I would love to take you to a place called Gua Musang (Civet Cat's Cave) which is another hardly explored place on the eastern side of the peninsular. It is so remote that we just have to bring extra petrol cos there's hardly any civilisation there for miles. The Musa gracilis var purple is found there.

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks:
Sponsors