View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
just j
TANTALIZING TROPICALS

Zone: 4-5
BananaBucks : 63,422
Said "Thanks" 252 Times
Was Thanked 129 Times in 91 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 71 Times
Send a message via MSN to just j
Default Re: New to growing bananas

[quote=ronaldmcblunder;73579] when the winter comes let a good frost hit the bananas before you dig them up..you want them dorm and not trying to push up new leaves after its out of the ground.

you cant really cause any serious damge to the root system just by digging it up if you listen to me. just insert the shovel in the ground and go straight down about 1 1/2 -2 feet from the stem. go in a circle and keep away from the stem dont dig just keep the pushing the shovel down like you are cuttin pie or cake. once the circle is complete grab the end of the shovel handle with the shovel in the ground and pop the corm out of the ground.
when the corm is out of the ground shake some dirt off the corm and put it somewhere cool,dry,and dark..too easy. a wet and or cold corm will die. a lot of corm rot or death is caused by keeping the corm wet,and or cold. bring the corm in during winter. QUOTE]

Do Not try this with a cavendish i have tryed for years and killed probly around 50 of them it dont work!!!! and if anyone has had luck on dwarf cavendish storeing them bare root i would love to know your secret! orinoco, basjoo, ice cream, rajas, musella, ensetes, kandarians, and a few others this method works great for but the cavendish dry up and die big or small they die i tryed it with 5 six footers this last winter and still couldnt get them to work i now plant them in ground and in fall dig them up pot them in 20 gallon pots the bigger ones and cut most leaves off i leave a few on and they will push out 1 a month in winter for me the roots dont worry about if you get a few thats all u need they will grow more in a few weeks. i water them about once every 3-4 weeks just enough to wet the soil so they dont rot and let them dry out before u water again the dwarf cavendish dont get that bigaround 6 feet of p-stem so this is easy to do on these if there big and the leaves are to big just cut them in half it wont hurt them most of the leaves are gonna dry up on the edge and look like **** anyways they will put out new one as soon as u get them out side in spring then when u got some new leaves what i do i cut all the older ones off that where on it over winter u dont have to do this but when there out on your yard and everything else is nice and green they look better
just j is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To just j