View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
1rainman

BananaBucks : 12,423
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default banana comparison

Has there been any good attempts at documenting the differences between the different types of banana varieties? I've noticed that online all the sellers and sources seem to use the exact same couple of pics (as if they can't take any of their own) and I've seen a great deal of inconsistency in how a certain species looks in the picture and their description. I even almost wonder if the orinoco of one seller is the same as the orinoco of another for example.

I am interested in learning this because I do not want to spend money on several banana types that have a lot of the same characteristics. For example a couple of years ago I had a raja puri and a double mahoi container grown. They went exellent together becaues they were two totally different looking plants. The Raja Puri was short and stalky with wide thick dark leaves, the mahoi had a brighter green leaf, was skinnier and a more standard shaped leaf as well. Whereas I also accidently wound up with two different raja puris as well which essentially were the same plant and it was pointless growing both of them.

I also ended up buying a super dwarf. I was ill informed and wasted my money. Though its a beautiful plant it cannot withstand temperatures even in the 40s and becomes sun burned rather easily. I ended up killing it when I put it outside even though it didn't phase my other bananas. Even banana wiki is lacking in a lot of basic pictures and information.

As of now I got a dwarf orinoco and the raja puri side by side and I'll see what kind of differences arise there. Interestingly I left them out in the cold by accident and they seem to have about the same cold tolerance even though the orinoco is advertised as the most cold hardy. Though maybe I have an odd strain of raja puri because the raja puri has proven the most cold hardy of all the types I've dealt with. So for the orinoco to match that then I guess it's doing pretty good, though they both reacted in different ways. The orinoco had blotches of brown and green mixed throughout the leaves whereas the raja had completely dead parts and totally green parts. Though more or less the same damage and the new leaf still good.

I also ordered a dwarf red (cuban red) and we'll see how that comes out. I tend to take pictures too. So I don't know why everybody doesn't do more comparisons and document them. Not really sure how to upload pictures here.
1rainman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 1rainman
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors