View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 282,622
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: passion flower / fruit

I belong to a passiflora group on face book and grow several variates.
Maypop is a common name given to vines native to the mid Atlantic states
i however do not believe it is the variety (P. incarnata) memory fails me as to what it's given name is all get back to you all on that
i have Galapagos, and arnata Ruby Glow, as well as Pura Vita Red and Lavender lady which i do not recommend its highly invasive and i have to hack it back I just don't think its flowers are all that nice now that one by the way is vary hardy to zone 5 I'm trying to get some of the good eating kinds but there aways sold out at my favorite on-line nursery

this is the one i want for fruit its a truly sweet and beautiful vine:
Passiflora Edulis Black Beauty produces sweet, delicious purple-black passion fruits. This vine is beautiful but usually is grown for the fruit, that are exceptionally sweet. This vine produced 30 to 40 of these beautiful The vine grows to about 20' and is pretty much pest free.

heres a link to a site that has every thing you could ever want to know about Passiflora this guy is considered just about the most knowledgeable Passiflora researcher in the world

Passiflora - Passion flowers - Passion flower

now i have had some trouble with this Lady's seeds but ever one els tells me there vary fresh so you decide for your self

Edible Passion Vines Edulis Alata Black Beauty Flavicarpa Granadilla Incarnata maypop Mollissima Panama Red Quadrangularis

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese