Thread: Message from me
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Scot Nelson

Zone: 10-11
Name: Scot Nelson
BananaBucks : 49,363
Said "Thanks" 128 Times
Was Thanked 257 Times in 56 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Send a message via Skype™ to Scot Nelson
Default Re: Message from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaperez View Post
Hi Scot,
after reading past discussions on AeAe here, i think one way of propagating this and produce true-to-type to the mother plant is also through tissue culture, excising the apical dome and no cutting ( we do longitudinal cutting into quarters for initial establishment in micropropagation) and using very minimal hormone (BAP) so that only axillary shoots (suckers) will be initiated and not adventitious shoots that may have come from the sector of non-mutated part. the new shoots coming from the base of the explant should have the same phenotype as the initial explant. you may also put a wound to the apical dome to stop the apical dominance and redirect growth on producing axillary buds (suckers). in this way, micropropagation would be slow as compared to the usual protocol of micropropagation but way faster than in vivo propagation (waiting for suckers to grow out). if you want a lot of variations, then you can do the usual protocol of micropropagation. Chimeras can segregate in vitro and i think this depends on your technique of micropropagating them. i wish i can have a hand on doing this but i have no way of getting initial explants from here.
also, i think if the green AeAe still carry that mutated sector then you can induce separating or regenerating the varigated shoots/plants from them through the usual micropropagation system.
well, good luck......
eden
Eden, there are AeAe plants growing on the Big Island if you want some. You can e-mail me.
Scot Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Scot Nelson