View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 261,180
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: My sheltered Ae Ae

Today I finally moved the larger of my two Ae Ae out of the greenhouse! It has been touching the top of my 16' tall greenhouse for a few months now and the leaves have been getting burnt from the sun/heat and it's warm enough outside at night (mid 40s, mostly). The pot was a half 50-gallon barrel. The psuedosteem is about 8" in diameter and 10' tall and there are 5 pups of varying sizes (hoping to build up my population this year so I'll be keeping them all). It was a big job getting this plant out of a 6' x 3' door in my greenhouse and also a big job moving it to the planting location and also getting it into the hole and cutting up the pot to get it out. We used a hand truck and even my little Kubota loader, etc. I estimate it weighed 250-300 pounds!!!

I put 2" square stakes around the root mass to help stabilize it until roots get going. As you can see from the second photo, it was fairly root-bound so I hope it takes off and flowers this summer. I believe that would probably be a first for northern California!

Thanks for looking!

Harvey
Hawaiian Ae Ae King of NorCal! LOL