View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #67 (permalink)
john_ny

Location: Staten Island, NY - southernmost county in NY State.
Zone: USDA7- Sunset34
BananaBucks : 607,636
Said "Thanks" 1,057 Times
Was Thanked 2,284 Times in 832 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: What Did Yo Graft Today?

Since the other thread is older, and probably is the one that's going, I'll copy my last post here.

Over the years, I have done many grafts. Some time ago, I would do several hundred fruit trees, each year, for my nursery business. Lately, demand has slacked off somewhat. I think this is due to the fact that we are more crowded than we were, land prices have risen, and yards are smaller.
Since I am in New York, most of what I did were temperate, rather than tropical, fruits; apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots, and cherries. I have been most successful with whip and tongue grafts, which are done in the winter, when trees are dormant, but have also done some T buds, and chip buds, which are done when the trees are growing, and the bark slips. Peaches are normally budded, in the summer, because the grafts don't take well in cold weather. I wanted to graft, rather than bud, some peaches. I solved the problem, by potting up the rootstocks and taking them in the greenhouse, in late winter, doing the grafts, and leaving them in the warm house for the union to heal.
A good little hint: I wrap the grafts, or buds, with a laboratory film, called, "Parafilm". This is a very stretchy plastic film, that adheres to itself (but without glue). You do not have to remove it. It stretches, as the union swells and, eventually, just falls off. On a bud, you don't have to wrap it above, and below, the bud. You can tape right over the bud and it will grow right through the tape.

john_ny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To john_ny
Said thanks: