View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Michael_Andrew

Zone: 6
Name: Michael
BananaBucks : 67,796
Said "Thanks" 248 Times
Was Thanked 384 Times in 182 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 226 Times
Default Re: I got a crazy idea...

Actually I just layed tape sticky side up and placed the staves on it with the bevel up. Then just put on the glue and roll it together.

Richard Quote: Yes, making congas has become a fine art as in the making of acoustic guitars. One of the old european masters would use a very thin strip of an ebony (bullet wood) among the other composites in the sound board to give the instrument interesting tonal characteristics.

Which master was that Richard? I'm curious to see what he did and the success. The sound boards I've made were with spruce or cedar and spruce and basswood lining and braces. I would think you would avoid a dense wood like ebony at all cost. You did say very thin though. I can see it as a binding. The old Spanish makers were spose to be the experts. Torres if my spelling is correct is renowned.

Michael

I haven't researched it but I think there are makers that use the acoustic guitar body as the basis of a percussion instrument.
Michael_Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Michael_Andrew