View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
bencelest
Banana Nut

Zone: 9
Name: Benny
BananaBucks : 188,952
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 1,415 Times in 653 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to bencelest
Default Re: What Did Yo Graft Today?

Yes. I cut the Italian plum drastically because it becomes too large and too tall for my sprayer to reach. It becomes the source of aphids and sooty molds for my other plants. Besides I can't reach the fruit. It is not the same branch but only one main trunk and one tree. This time though I am trimming all of my plants into reachable heights. I am cutting a few of my grafts by doing so.
Before, I did a lot of experimenting, I tried that banana graft that I believe you introduced, budding, etc...... but I settled with 2 grafts I described above because it is easy to learn, fastest to do and to grow and easy to take. And once it took, you have a branch that is ready to flower in the same year.
I had my shortcomings before but in apples and peaches I found out that they are the easiest to take. You can't do any wrong on those trees.
Yes, you can do either way grafting on your apples. Both whip and tongue or cleft graft are perfect. Bark grafting sometimes are weak graft because the scion is only attach to the bark. A strong wind can dislodge a bark graft easily. And accidental pulling, that it happened to me many times before. CG and W&T graft are very strong graft against the wind or accidental pulling. But after a year or two you are safe once the union takes place permanently.
I don't have a chance to graft avocado and loquat yet. I love both fruits and love to have them but I don't have the space to grow them anymore.
I wonder if I can grow them in bigger pots? Like a wine barrel? I have plenty of those.

Last edited by bencelest : 02-20-2009 at 10:16 AM.
bencelest is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bencelest