View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
bencelest
Banana Nut

Zone: 9
Name: Benny
BananaBucks : 188,962
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 1,415 Times in 653 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to bencelest
Default Re: What Did Yo Graft Today?

Patty: Those are the Tachima plums that Joe Real gave me last year. He said that they are particularly much bigger than a regular plum and much sweeter. I was saying that those tachimas took and now they are just one long stick. My experience was I have problems with them when they fruited. They usually bend and break before the fruit ripens so the next best thing to do is to cut them short and the cuttings I grafted them back to other trees.
Sorry if I misled you. I guess it is my English. Eh?
No, I don't do cleft graft anymore. In my view the union looks ugly so most of my grafts are bark graft. About 80 % of my grafts are like that because I am most successful on those. It seems like I can do no wrong. They all take in 99% of the time. That is if the mother tree has a bigger diameter than the scion I am inserting. But if both branches are the same diameter I do tongue and ....(I forgot the term) which is I am also successful. So I only do those 2 grafts now for all of my trees.

In my area they are now blooming with flower buds. I am cutting so much branches with so much flowers being wasted but it has to be done.

Last edited by bencelest : 02-20-2009 at 02:34 AM.
bencelest is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bencelest