View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #163 (permalink)
sunsetsammy

BananaBucks : 46,621
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

What kind of luck are people having with Ensete Maurelli - Red Abyssinian when using this method?

Last year I stored about 6 one year old plants and all made it except two. They were all stored bareroot at about 10C. On the ones that lived the stems stayed red/green all winter despite no leaves or watering. The two that died kind of lost their color and eventually rotted.

This year I have a couple of the same plants now two years old and being stored in the same way. These two are now losing their color and I expect they'll be rotten come spring. The stems on these ones are about a basketball's diameter.

I did place them upside down to try and drain some excess water out in the fall but there is just so much water in these things, they are huge! Anyhow I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to save these plants.

I'm wondering also if storing them hanging upside down might help. It just seems there is so much water in the trunk of these plants. Some of it must seep back to the corm and start to rot once the plant goes dormant. Does that make sense?
sunsetsammy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunsetsammy