View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
PaulOdin
Muddy handed ditch digger

BananaBucks : 40,665
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: AGRISTARTS BANANA TRAYS - Splitting trays

I got a mixed lot of about 72 bananas from Agri-Start last March 6th, a bit before I joined this forum. Probably because I picked them up, I wasn't charged a packing or split tray fee, though I was reminded a few times that they are only allowed to sell wholesale. The total haul was 2 1000 Fingers, since that was a leftover sitting around, and a dz. or more each of Dwarf Brazilian, Pitogo, Red Iholeni, Kru and Double. Basically, I was asking for groups of 2 dz., and taking anything they had in smaller quantities "as a favor to them". All together it was a very interesting afternoon and a remarkable place to visit.
The bananas were in 1" round plugs, and a couple inches tall. After passing some to a friend, I kept the rest indoors under florescent aquarium lights for 6 weeks w/out losing any, but w/ little growth. Then they were in planters outdoors through June, where they grew to about 6", and I lost a few while on vacation for 2 weeks. At that stage they were pretty crowded, so I moved them to 3 bathtubs I'm using as outdoor planters, and the current size varies by cultivar, w/ an average stem height around 24". It is probably time to move out the 3' plants, but I haven't decided how to handle them all during the winter. Maybe I should move the 10 biggest into 3 gal. pots, and see how the rest do w/ more space.
The point of this is that these little pluggers are healthy, but take forever to grow. After 7 months some have less than a foot of stem, and I doubt if the big ones have anything that could be called a corm. Reputable growers like A&B Nurseries who do this all the time charge a 1000% mark up from what they pay Agri-Starts, but they invest 6 months in the plants and the nanner is only a small part of their expense.
My feeling is that if you buy a tray you should do it as soon as possible. It is unlikely that babanas bought now would be ready to go into the ground before next April.

Paul
PaulOdin is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PaulOdin