Thread: Fert's
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 118,687
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Fert's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Thanks, that is a great photo of the label. The nitrogen content is about 1/2 Urea-based, so definitely keep this product away from orchids, bromeliads, hydroponics, and other soil-less situations. It has a good composition of minerals but nothing you won't find in a standard agricultural product.

O.K., so the Algoflash General Purpose "6-6-6" 5-liter bottle is $40 for about 13.5 lbs of net product. This bottle contains (6% x 13.5 lbs) 0.81 lbs net of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (each). That works out to (40 / 0.81) $49.38 per net lb of Nitrogen or Potassium, take your pick. Either way, this is an extremely overpriced fertilizer.

Looking closely at the label, I could offer a product with the very same contents. Here would be my costs:
  • 5-liter plastic bottle, cap, and seal: $1.50
  • Fancy labels on both sides of bottle: $0.50
  • 4 lbs of acid-forming 20-20-20 with micronutrients: $4.50
  • 4 liters of distilled water: $0.50
  • Production line (fill and seal) fee: $1.00
  • Transporting materials and bottles to/from production line: $0.30
Total cost: $8.30. Now even with added advertising and labor costs, it seems that $40 is way out of line.

But I never will offer such a product. Although 6-6-6 is a good general purpose formula, with little effort you can do better and often for less money.
Nice job Richard, that's what I pay you for...lol! It makes so much sense when you break it down for us like that. I will just get my fertilizer from you and not worry about it. Just set-up a fertilization program for my potted bananas and I am good to go. Oh, and I also have those pitayas, babco, puya, Madagascar Palm, EE's, Joey Palm and some other tropical ferns and palms.

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Sponsors