Thread: Fert's
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Worm_Farmer

Zone: 9b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 44,117
Said "Thanks" 5,326 Times
Was Thanked 1,830 Times in 679 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,866 Times
Send a message via AIM to Worm_Farmer
Default Re: Fert's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You are getting good results because the plants are receiving nitrogen, a moderate amount of phosphorus, and potash -- plus, the worm tea contains micronutrients.

Now about worm castings and worm tea: the best of worlds would be if the worms were fed composted fruits, vegetables, and horse or sheep manure. If you are putting steer or cow manure into the worms' food chain, then you are getting higher concentrations of unwanted minerals which in the long run can degrade your plants. If any of the fruit or vegetable material is store-bought non-certified-organic material, then you might also have plant hormones in your worm castings that could cause your plants to have shorter stems, larger leafs, and less fruit development. This is especially true of commercially produced ornamental flowers, including poinsettias. Also, you are better off giving your plants worm castings than worm tea, because the tea is missing some ingredients that will break down and attract beneficial bacteria.

As for your general purpose triple-six fertilizer, I think you can do better, and probably for less money. Here is what I have written for the horticultural society: PTP_2008_12_Fertilize_II

For a few more details on micronutrients, see: Micronutrients

And since you are focusing on things labeled "organic", you should understand that the word alone is completely unregulated. Read this to find out what the label might mean on various products: PTP_2008_09_Organic

Thanks for this info, I love this break down of Organic gardening. Lots of info I had no clue about. I have book marked this link.
Worm_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Worm_Farmer