View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #62 (permalink)
jeffreyp
Zone 10, South Florida

Zone: 10
BananaBucks : 140,556
Said "Thanks" 30 Times
Was Thanked 590 Times in 298 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Send a message via MSN to jeffreyp Send a message via Skype™ to jeffreyp
Default Re: Last California Gold of the year!!!

Mike,

It's meaningless for me to grow a cg in south florida. Orinoco's are best used as plantains and are inferior to desert bananas. It is my preference for unique sweet varieties of bananas. I can certainly give the benefit of the doubt to those on this board who claim it's unique. But I have seen PLENTY of orinocos and it's still my opinion that it is. I think even Jeff mentions it's an orinoco type. I suppose given the apparent marginal growing conditions in California if you can get something to reliably grow there and fruit, then by all means propagate it. In south florida, orinoco or any of it's clones are inferior as bananas. Of all those on this board claiming it's unique, where is YOUR genetic proof it's not an orinoco? I have said that the fruit has the same characteristics of orinoco, the plant has the same shape and morphology as orinoco. The opinions of others I have read on other message boards state the fruit and taste are really no different than dwarf orinoco. My opinion is not based on genetic scientific fact, but there isnt any definitive support that it is unique either from those who insist that it is. Even growing plants side by side are not 100 percent meaningful either.

Last edited by jeffreyp : 09-08-2006 at 09:25 AM.
jeffreyp is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jeffreyp