View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
MediaHound
Tally-Man

Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
BananaBucks : 1,983,413
Said "Thanks" 3,855 Times
Was Thanked 5,075 Times in 1,352 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,086 Times
Default Re: Last California Gold of the year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearl View Post
Interesting post.... Especially since I am the one selling the CalGold on ebay.
I have a couple more plants doing some late summer pupping so I have 2 more than originally thought.
First let me echo what Joe Real reported... CalGold may not be the best tasting banana out there it... is in my opinion better than store bought bananas.... but then again the best tasting bananas always die here in my zone 9 climate. So a good tasting banana that does well...is better than an excellent tasting banana that dies :P.
The fact that I am regularly growing bananas for fruit production around here is in its self testament to its hardiness. I , like Joe tend to buy and try most any banana that claims to be hardy.... I also wasted about $2000 bucks on those trials and mostly errors. CalGold still outgrows and produces all of them.... even on those years where are winters are more like zone 8.... which seem to be happening more and more lately.
The truth be known... I don't know the precise hereditary of this banana. It's fruit is generally angular ( but for some reason... not always ) and the tree is smaller than most bananas... though this can vary depending on the health of the plant and growing conditions. I once fruited one at only 4 ft .... some are as tall as 8 ft of trunk.... most are 6 to 7ft of trunk height.

Anyway... In case anyone is interested... I have another for sale on ebay.

Jeff

ebay auction is at... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Welcome to the board, Jeff!