View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 AM   #134 (permalink)
v1rtu0s1ty

Zone: 5a
Name: Neil
BananaBucks : 51,596
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty in Wisc View Post
Virtuosity (sp?) & Kent, don't worry! Yes, you can dig up a healthy growing nanna & shake off all/most dirt on rootball & it will just go to sleep in a cool dark place. It will know that winter is around the corner. It won't need water. I was leary too, but it works.
You are both in warmer climates than me, so maybe it's a little soon for you to dig them up? I have one still inground but will dig it up tomorrow & pot it to go in sunroom. This year, I will keep it potted for winter. I figure the more time it has growing, the sooner it will flower.
Last year I laid it on cool sunroom floor to sleep & covered it to keep it dark.
I potted it up in late March or April (in sunroom) & gave it a little water & it sprung a leaf very soon....it just woke up & had a early start for summer. Then after letting it get used to outdoors, I replanted inground end of May & it took off. I sure am hoping for a flower next year!
Patty
Thanks Patty.

What about my second question, can you please share how I would plant them come spring assuming they're 7 or 8 ft tall? Do I bury the pstem 1 or 2 ft below so that wind won't be able to take them or blown them down?
v1rtu0s1ty is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To v1rtu0s1ty