View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #133 (permalink)
Patty in Wisc
tropical nut

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 260,670
Said "Thanks" 2,946 Times
Was Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,198 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 69 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Virtuosity (sp?) & Kent, don't worry! Yes, you can dig up a healthy growing nanna & shake off all/most dirt on rootball & it will just go to sleep in a cool dark place. It will know that winter is around the corner. It won't need water. I was leary too, but it works.
You are both in warmer climates than me, so maybe it's a little soon for you to dig them up? I have one still inground but will dig it up tomorrow & pot it to go in sunroom. This year, I will keep it potted for winter. I figure the more time it has growing, the sooner it will flower.
Last year I laid it on cool sunroom floor to sleep & covered it to keep it dark.
I potted it up in late March or April (in sunroom) & gave it a little water & it sprung a leaf very soon....it just woke up & had a early start for summer. Then after letting it get used to outdoors, I replanted inground end of May & it took off. I sure am hoping for a flower next year!
Patty

____
Patty in Wisc has sadly passed away 9/05/11. We will miss you Patty.
Patty in Wisc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Patty in Wisc
Said thanks: